About Me

My photo
With no chance for success, you would not hunt. Without the prospect of failure hunting would have no merit. I don't hunt to kill, I kill because I hunt. Remember a moderate hit is lots more effective than a high powered miss. Best of luck.

Friday, April 21, 2017

WE FOUND THEM ! ! !

CHIZLERAMOS MAXIMUS HUMORI  = target
Fellow chizzler hunters, you guys all know --  Some times you go to reap chizzlers in Iron County, Utah and the weather or the chizzlers or both don't participate.  You go with good intentions to do a favor for the agriculturalists in the area and rid them of some hundreds of vermin via a rim fire rifle. You really try but to no avail.  You hunt and glass and move around to various possible reaping locations and the chizzlers just are NOT there.

I went on such a hunt on Monday 4-17-2017.  I took my son, an accomplished chizzler hunter, and a good friend from elk camp, Big C.  Big C had never hunted chizzlers before.  He was going to have some fun.  We went up to the fields and moved around some and ended up shooting maybe 100-150 chizzlers in eventually 15 - 25 mile an hour wind gusts.  We did get a few profit robbers moved on to the alfalfa field in the sky but not as many as I had hoped.  Big C said he had a great time and was all grinny about getting some little rascals with his .17HMR.  My son did well and took out his share of chizzlers also with a .17HMR.  I used my good ol' .22LR and did my best.  All in all it was a great trip to travel to and from hunting with the guys and then take out some pesty varmints.  It is male bonding time to the max = guys, trucks, guns, and dead animals.
Big C bearing down on an unlucky chizzler
I was back to work for a few days and licking my wounds when a great pal, L J called and told me we had to go hunt again on Thursday.  I said sure, what could I loose?  L J picked me up and we had a good trip with no mule deer encounters along the way.  There were 3 or 4 groups of deer out on the edge of the highway.  These renegade mule deer were looking for a truck to run into while we made our way up Utah highway 18. L J, a great driver, managed to "dodge" them in his Nissan double cab P/U.  Prior to departure I had checked the weather on my "smart" phone and it was predicted to be windy and 60% + chance of rain.  We went hunting anyway, we were trying to get lucky.

We arrived at the pre-determined location and the chizzlers were not abundant.  We moved to an alternate location and amazingly proceeded to mow the critters down.  L J was shooting a bolt action Ruger American .22LR and had some 25 round magazines pre-loaded.  He shot up all his pre-loaded magazines and commented, "The 25 rounders are nice except for when you have to reload them".  I was doing my best to keep up.  We both went through significant amounts of ammunition.  We also retired  maybe 300+ chizzlers in just 2 hours.  It was 65º F outside and there was no wind.  The sky was clear and absolutely no rain fell.  So much for "smart" phone weather forecasts.
L J plows one under
We shot well.  I personally shot around with a +/- 75% hit ratio.  L J smacked them lots and the pop up in the air of the baby vermin and the break-dance of death were causes of demonical snickers.  You fellow chizzler hunters know the sound of a .22LR hollow point hitting the big fat side walls of a over fed old herd bull chizzler.  It is a pop that the farmers appreciate and you enjoy.  We came home with no wind in our hair, and no rain on our equipment.  It was a real good day.
ready to start reaping . . .
See how the little profit eaters had taken down the alfalfa in the field just behind my set up?  It is financially hurtful for the farmers.  I want to help.

No comments: