About Me

My photo
With no chance for success, you would not hunt. Without the prospect of failure hunting would have no merit. I don't hunt to kill, I kill because I hunt. Remember a moderate hit is lots more effective than a high powered miss. Best of luck.

Monday, April 3, 2017

COLD AS HECK . . . still chizzlers die in the snow

Before we get into the details of hunting chizzlers in the snow lets take a little quiz:
Guess what?
 1. WHAT IS THIS A PHOTO OF?
2. How did it end up on the dirt?
3. Will it be a profit eater for the farmers in Iron County, Utah anytime soon?
4. Can a chizzler reaper count multiple K.I.A.'s for a single shot and multiple reapings?
5.  Is this going to reduce the number of chizzlers to hunt later in the year in any perceivable way?  {Answers to follow at the end of this blog post.}

Bounty Hunter 6 (B H 6) and I went to hunt chizzlers last week.  It has been cold and rainy in Washington County, Utah and Iron County being some 3,000 feet above sea level higher in elevation was gifted with some snow.  I had my doubts if we would see any little profit stealers out in the snow.  Guess what  --  YES, you guessed it  -- there were some eskimo chizzlers out eating the alfalfa and bundled up in fur.  We took no prisoners.
Snow chizzler
 B H 6 did his duty with a .17 HMR CZ rifle and I did what I could to keep up with my Savage .22LR heavy barrel.  We really didn't chat much.  We were both rather occupied with obtaining a target in the scope, concentrating on shooting precisely, and working the bolt to ready for the next cycle of agricultural menace harvesting.  We did our best to do our duty to get the chizzler population down.  We had a pretty darn good day!  I will admit I was almost frost bitten and my fingers were numb.  Agriculture helping work is sometimes not as pleasant as others.  I still had a wonderful time.  I don't now why I like this type of hunting, chizzlers, so much?  {I must have been a very evil person in previous life?  I certainly hope my next incarnation is not as a chizzler in Iron County, Utah.}
3 for 1, at least
ANSWERS to the quiz:
 1. WHAT IS THIS A PHOTO OF?  Soon to be born and start eating profits chizzler
2. How did it end up on the dirt?   Emergency C section via a .22LR round, the mother was                dying from a gun shot wound
3. Will it be a profit eater for the farmers in Iron County, Utah anytime soon? Never to eat in Iron County . . . or anywhere else for that matter
4. Can a chizzler reaper count multiple K.I.A.'s for a single shot and multiple reapings? NO.  One shot per chizzler.  Collateral damage is not counted.
5.  Is this going to reduce the number of chizzlers to hunt later in the year in any perceivable way?  It is highly doubted the total number of chizzlers will significantly change in the next 4 months.






No comments: