About Me

My photo
With no chance for success, you would not hunt. Without the prospect of failure hunting would have no merit. I don't hunt to kill, I kill because I hunt. Remember a moderate hit is lots more effective than a high powered miss. Best of luck.

Saturday, March 29, 2014

TOO MUCH OF A GOOD THING?

What a beautiful morning.  The fellow below had just stepped out of his burrow and was looking for the choicest, greenest, leafiest alfalfa to eat when -- he suddenly died. 



I have been hunting chizzlers lots lately.  I went on three different mornings with my son last week and the first of this week.  I went with my pals this morning.  I have fired about 600 rounds of .22L.R. at chizzlers over the last 11 days in four trips. I calculate I have connected with my intended targets about 50 - 60% of the time.  Is this too much of a good thing? 

NO, I don't think so!

I have done my best, to do my duty, to help the farmers in Iron County, Utah.  I have "plooped", flopped, and bounced vermin all over the fields.  The little critters seem to just keep coming.  The crows and the raptors {nature's undertakers} are getting so fat they just waddle around the fields.  I doubt they can even fly with their heavy load of chizzler meat built up in their "pot-guts".  I have taken chizzlers at ranges of from 20 yards to 142 yards.  I have taken them with no wind and with wind gusts in the 20 MPH range.  I have taken them in a hurry to beat my pal Bounty Hunter 6, and I have taken them slowly when they are just giving me a head shot target.  I have taken no prisoners.

The majority of the varmints taken in the last two trips were about 85% males.  I think the females are down their burrows and are having the next wave of baby varmints.  I will have to sharpen my skills for the tiny varmints.  Even though, the tiny varmints are rather dumb they present a really small target to hit.  Smaller than a golf ball.

Am I having too much fun?  NO, I don't think so.

No comments: