About Me

My photo
With no chance for success, you would not hunt. Without the prospect of failure hunting would have no merit. I don't hunt to kill, I kill because I hunt. Remember a moderate hit is lots more effective than a high powered miss. Best of luck.

Friday, March 7, 2014

CHIZZLER SEASON IS OPEN ... maybe?


 A serious moment

Thursday 3-6-2014 Bounty Hunter 6 and I went to Iron County and surveyed the prospects of chizzler hunting.  It is early in the year.  Usually we don't get into the chizzler hunting until mid-April.

We saw some varmints and did our duty; in early March, mind you.

Just a little longer in the year

It was a cool day with significant wind.  We took out a dozen or so chizzlers who were looking for food and companionship.  Things kind of slowed down and Bounty Hunter 6 said, "Let's go, it's too early in the year still"  I replied, "Just wait awhile, the little varmints are hungry and horny and will be out yet this morning."  Sure enough within15 minutes or so we started to see the rascals come out of their burrows and start toward the alfalfa fields.  We started to shoot at a consistent and reasonably rapid rate.  Bounty Hunter 6 could just keep up with his magazine loading at his rate of firing.   He actually did really well.  I could hear the tell tale "ploop" of various vermin getting hit by a .17HMR round very regularly.  I also could hear the sly snickers of a man that really enjoys his work in preserving the profits of agriculturalists.  Overall I estimate he connected about 75% of the time he fired.

I was shooting a .22LR cartridge and with the wind as it was I had to use more than Kentucky windage.  I was using Louisiana--Texas windage.  At a lazer ranged 106 yards I was holding off about 4 chizzler body thicknesses.  I did connect with many varmints and feel like I did a good job.  I averaged at least 50-60% connection with my rounds fired.

We had great conversations on the travel to and from the hunting area.  We had a fun lunch at Karl's Jr. The fact was proven again:

ANY DAY HUNTING IS BETTER THAN A DAY WORKING!

Although, I did some get real work done when I got back to my office in the early afternoon and evening.  The farmers are happy, the IRS is happy, and I am happy.  The only one not enthralled was the chizzler population.

More to come ...............

Bald eagle buffet

No comments: