About Me

My photo
With no chance for success, you would not hunt. Without the prospect of failure hunting would have no merit. I don't hunt to kill, I kill because I hunt. Remember a moderate hit is lots more effective than a high powered miss. Best of luck.

Thursday, May 23, 2019

BEEN THERE DONE THAT -- It was so dang fun again ! ! !

Craig, Ben S, Jim S, Jorn, Bounty Hunter 6, Ben P.H. Sigi, Dax
 April 7, 2019, Sunday morning at 3 a.m. the adventure begins.  We ride the St. George Shuttle to the airport in Las Vegas and are rummy from the loss of sleep from the get-go.  I really, really like going hunting in Africa BUT, the getting there and getting back are way hard on an old man like me.  I have noticed the 30ish year old guys have a hard time as well.  BASICALLY, two days traveling in tight quarters can and will kick anyone's butt.

NOTICE:  I purposely went through air terminals outside NYC to avoid the enema of NYC rules and cops.  We journeyed through Atlanta, GA and all went without a hitch.  We checked our bags, including firearms and ammunition, all the way to Windhoek, Namibia and didn't have to do anything else with our rifles and ammo.  This is the way to travel.  NON-New York City !

We arrived at Farm Garib, Namibia at around  12:48 a.m. on Wednesday April 9, 2019.  I had been awake since Sunday morning early and now can verify I was truly tired.  I fall asleep and hope the parametics have the paddles to wake me up in the morning for breakfast and hunting. 

Wednesday April 9, 2019
Farm Garib, Namibia  South 23º08.085'  East 17º37.938'  elevation 4,817 {Look it up on Google Earth -- you can see me in court yard waving up at the satalite.}

Arise, shower, shave, dress for success, and breakfast.  Food is the typical German fare -- cold cuts, a variety of great flavored cheeses, white and whole grain bread with jam.  Scrambled eggs are available on request.  Coffee, hot chocolate, soda, water -- whatever to drink.   {The coffee here is better than anywhere else in the world. I have a bad heart and still sneak a cup before breakfast -- so delicious.}  The air is so clean here.  The sky is more than blue.  The people are dear friends.  I was so tired when I woke up I can imagine this is kind of how heaven will be someday.  We divide up into groups to go hunting during breakfast.  First, however we need to check the zero on our rifles.  Three trucks, with 5 hunters, 3 guides (P.H.'s), and 3 trackers go out to the rifle range just a few kilometers from the house.  We each set up on a concrete bench and fire some rounds at 100 meters on a paper target.  Most everyone is real close to zero and can make just a minor adjustment or two and we are off in three different directions looking for various plains game animals.

My son Dax and I are with Sigi Hess, P.H. extraordinaire, and tracker William Scot.  Sigi, Dax, and I have history together.  We have been on two other hunts in the past.  I just happend to have a deck of cards in my backpack.  I let Dax draw a card and I draw a card to see who hunts first.  He draws a 5 of clubs and I draw a 10 of hearts.  Goddess Diana is smiling at me this beautiful morning.  The environment is perfect.  Maybe 70º F, no wind and not a cloud to be seen in the sky. The farm has had some tough times due to a lingering drought.  Farmers need to see some rain, but the hunting weather is more or less perfect for me.

We are actually out in the veld at around 10:30 a.m.  We see several oryx running around between the large bushes and trees as we travel.  They are so pretty and so graceful.  They seem to move effortlessly at about 15 MPH through the sandy rises and rills.  I dismount from the truck and make a stalk with good wind.  As I get near the oryx for a shot the wind shifts and the oryx take off due to my gringo smell in their noses.  This scenario plays out maybe three more times without a shot.  I am OK with everything.  I am having a super good time.  I am at Farm Garib with my son on a perfect morning hunting.  It just doesn't get much better than this.  {I invited my other son but he couldn't get the time off work.  DANG.}

We hunt until lunch hour and start to hunt our way back to the house for lunch.  On the returning trip we see a bat eared fox hanging aorund a cattle watering tank.  The fox is obviously impared.  he has rabies.  The P.H., Sigi, gets a tire iron from behind the seat of the truck and starts to go end the fox's misery.  He doesn't want his cattle infected by the animal either.  When the fox sees Sigi he runs about 60 yards away toward a fence line.  I ask Sigi if he wants me to shoot it?  Sigi says yes if you want to.  Understand that here in Namibia ammo is very expensive.  A single round for my .338 win mag rifle costs over $6.00 US.  I take aim and fire at the fox.  The .338 proves to be sufficient to end his disease.  {See my earlier post in praise of the .338}  We head on towards the farm house for lunch.

Maybe one kilometer from the bat eared fox issue we see a lone oryx bull standing up on a hill side.  He is older and not with the herd.  I asked Sigi if he is a good one.  He says "Yes."  I take aim and fire at about 250 yards off my bipod.  It is a steady shot and the bullet flies true.  The bullet impacts in the back end of the oryx rib cage as he is quartering away from me.  The Barnes .338 caliber 225 grain bullet travels through the entire distance of the oryx taking out liver, lungs, and the top of the heart before lodging against the hide on the far side of his chest.  He staggers about 10 yards and lays down to die.  Dax and I walk up on him cautiously and we decided to shoot him again in the head or neck to end him quick.  I take aim and fire at about 50 yards and it is way over for the oryx.  We claim our prize and take some photos.  I am pleased to have this animal.  He is a mature older bull and a great trophy.  The meat will be welcome to many folks around the farm community.  I too will enjoy this guy in just a few days.  Oryx meat is one of the best game meats I have ever had.  It is better than rocky mountain elk to me.  We take some photos and load the beast into the truck and head back for lunch.

South 23º93.514'  East 17º36.307'







No comments: