About Me

My photo
With no chance for success, you would not hunt. Without the prospect of failure hunting would have no merit. I don't hunt to kill, I kill because I hunt. Remember a moderate hit is lots more effective than a high powered miss. Best of luck.

Thursday, August 25, 2016

HARTEBEEST BEFORE SUNDOWN . . .

We had a brief nap after the zebra steak feast.  I was so hungry and it tasted so good, I just kept after it.  I had breakfast at around 6:30 a.m.  Lunch of zebra filet cooked over open fire at 2 p.m. after walking and hunting all morning it was wonderful.  I was hurting and in heaven at the same time, kind of neat place to be.

We saddled up in the trusty Toyota and we went out after something before sundown, leaving the main house around 4 p.m.  We were traveling along on a rather bumpy road on the east side of the farm and we saw a small herd of hartebeest.  We had been after hartebeest already this week but had been busted by scent on two occasions.  Sigi parked the truck behind some big bushes and we went into stealth mode.  I even tried to breathe lightly so as not to cloud the air with a predators' zebra breath.  We were busted on our first stalk but on the second one we got to within 260 yards.  I put up my bi-pod and sat down for steady shooting.  I waited for Sigi to tell me which one and he told me to take an older meat cow.  I held steady with the crosshairs about 4 inches above where I wanted the bullet to strike.  I pressed the trigger on my .338WM and bam -- instant hartebeest on the ground.  She dropped to the shot and I quickly reloaded and was waiting for her to try and get back up.  She wriggled some and Sigi said hit it again.  I promptly shot it again in the chest cavity.  It was down for the biltong count.
location 23º12.211' S 17º44.538' E
SIDE NOTE:  Just to remind everyone biltong is dried meat that is absolutely delicious.  It has coriander seed and pepper on it with very little salt.  It is cured in the air like jerky but not near as salty nor half as tough and chewy.  I really like biltong and am glad to have it whenever anyone offers.  It is more like a portable meal than a snack.
biltong being dried
We take photos and head back to the Farm Garib.  We are treated to a fire in the fire pit , good conversation, dinner of springbok medallions, macaroni, gravy, green beans, and pudding.  Nice to visit with Sigi over dinner.  Man am I tired.  I don't think I will be able to get up tomorrow with out the assistance of the paramedics and their heart shocking machine, "all clear" . . . .  To put it like Sigi, "I sleep like a nail" whatever that means?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.