About Me

My photo
With no chance for success, you would not hunt. Without the prospect of failure hunting would have no merit. I don't hunt to kill, I kill because I hunt. Remember a moderate hit is lots more effective than a high powered miss. Best of luck.

Thursday, May 29, 2008

CHIZZLERS


I have been working on a construction job in Central the last while. I take my rifle with me to work and when I get the fellows going on the project I run on up to Beryl for some CHIZZLER hunting. On May 29, 2008 I took two bolt action .22's. One has a 5-shot clip feed with a 4-16X 40mm scope and the other has a tube feed that holds 18 rounds and has a 6-24X 40mm scope. I asked the farmer, Dave, where to go to hunt the little crop robbers. He told me a spot that proved to be magic. I set up my squirrel-o-matic in the back of my pickup and started to shoot the critters at around 11:00 a.m. I actually shot as fast as I could load my rifles. I went through over 400 rounds of .22 L.R. ammo before 1:30 p.m. My shots were at a distance of from 20 yards to around 110 yards with the majority at 40 - 50 yards. I hit probably 50% of the time, maybe more! Near the end, I had the range dialed in with one scope on 16X and the other at 20X. I knew where to hold and all I did was adjust the A.O. for the sharpest focus on the varmints. I ran through several sessions with 5 out of 5 or 10 out of 10 hits in the last hour of hunting. Bounty Hunter 6 missed this one, too bad old pal. The various hunters had not taped this area before. I had brought my .243 Win. but didn't even get it out of the case as the shooting was so fast with the .22's. In 2 1/2 hours I shot over 200 chizzlers. It was amazing. The farmer thanked me for my efforts to preserve his crops.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like some real barrel melting action! I hope I get in on it next time I am down there.

Dax

Grandma Beaner said...

Can I go next time? It gives me a real thrill to yell out, "I got one!"

Anonymous said...

What the heck is a chizzler?

Accuracy Sports said...

Chizzler is a local name for a type of ground squirrel or small praire dog that invades the farmers fields and makes tons of burrows and eats, of chizzles, away at their profits.