About Me

My photo
With no chance for success, you would not hunt. Without the prospect of failure hunting would have no merit. I don't hunt to kill, I kill because I hunt. Remember a moderate hit is lots more effective than a high powered miss. Best of luck.

Monday, August 20, 2007

Hunting Rockies



The Supreme Commander and I went on a picnic in Cedar Canyon. While there we just watched with binoculars a large volcanic rock pile for rockchucks to come out. When the Supreme Commander was quiet enough, some started coming out to sun themselves on the warm afternoon. She got all excited and wanted me to shoot one. I picked a fairly large old boy and had to make a brain shot to stop him from going back down his cave. He had to be stopped instantly or he would get back down in the rocks. I was only shooting a .22 magnum at a distance of about 104 yards. I got lucky and nailed him on the first shot. He just slumped over and didn't move an inch. I have lots of respect for the Savage M93 .22 magnum. It is accurate and hits plenty hard within 150 yards or so on smaller varmints.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Hoser,
Too bad we never made a trip up to Grace for rockies. However, there are so many rabbits out here in the basin that I think we should plan a rabbit derby and see how many we can get over a couple of days.
Dax

Anonymous said...

Hey Craig,
The rockchucks have gone to bed for the winter, but in the spring, COME ON UP!!!! Bring your family, it would be great to see them. Lynn