About Me

My photo
With no chance for success, you would not hunt. Without the prospect of failure hunting would have no merit. I don't hunt to kill, I kill because I hunt. Remember a moderate hit is lots more effective than a high powered miss. Best of luck.

Monday, July 9, 2018

MID-JULY AND STILL HUNTING VERMIN

WOW!  Can you believe it? It is mid-July and I am still able to hunt the little profit stealing vermin in Iron County, Utah .  This is unheard of for me and many of the locals.  It is a dry year and the weather is warm already, like 95º F in the late morning.


Bounty Hunter 6 and I went to the Beryl area of Iron County, Utah this morning.  We drove up there arriving at the decided upon shooting spot around 9:10 a.m.  We set up the squirrel-o-matics in the back of the White Wagon of Death pickup truck owned by Bounty Hunter 6 and readied for hopefully a good shoot.  By 9:30 a.m. the little profit thieves were through with their "chizzler coffee" and out looking for friendship and easy food in the farmer's alfalfa fields.

We did our duty with zeal.  Bounty Hunter 6 was using his Savage heavy barrel .17 Mach II rifle and I my trusty Savage heavy barrel .22 lr.  We shot for over two hours and only slowed down to load magazines.  BH 6 went through 3 boxes of ammo and I used 4.  We harvested about 150 chizzlers.  I was not shooting so well as the rascals were hanging out at about 100 to 125 yards most of the time.  I did get eight or nine close shots (35 yards) and I missed on half of the tries.  BH 6 was getting a real laugh out of my performance.  I could hit the old chizzlers at 100 - 125 yards yet up close I was missing.  He shot extra well today.  He nailed them close and far  That little .17 Mach II cartridge is a real fine shooter and is so dang accurate when handled by Bounty Hunter 6.

About 11:45 a.m. some critter blew the 'nap time' whistle and the chizzlers just went down and stayed down.  We walked out into the combat zone and took a few pictures while lazering back towards the White Wagon of Death to see just how far we were shooting.  It seems that once you get the range and hold over dialed in on your scope you kind of forget the distance and just go to work on helping the farmers.

I was a super fun day and really an extra treat to hunt chizzlers so late in the year.  

                                             {My pals in San Diego -- eat your hearts out.}









No comments: