About Me

My photo
With no chance for success, you would not hunt. Without the prospect of failure hunting would have no merit. I don't hunt to kill, I kill because I hunt. Remember a moderate hit is lots more effective than a high powered miss. Best of luck.

Thursday, August 3, 2017

A GREAT FRIEND PASSES ON

One of my best friends has passed on.  He was fun person to hunt with and discuss the philosophies of life while waiting for wild game to move around in the veld. Hans Peter Luehl was an upright guy.  He worked hard at his ranch for over 40 years.  He raised four fine children with the help of his wife a life long partner and companion, Frauke.  He is "grandpa" to four and "friend" to hundreds.  Hans Peter Luehl passed in the night at the hospital in Windhoek, Namibia from cancer.  He is already deeply missed.


I met him just 10 years ago.  I went to his ranch in Namibia as a client/hunter.  I spend eight days with him in 2007 and left his farm and home as a life long friend.  He was friendly to me from the start.  I enjoy his dry humor.  He is always in tune with nature and wants to preserve the land and animals. He managed a large ranch and had between 1,600 and 2,000 head of cattle on pasture all the time for years and years.  Hunting was just a side line for him. I think he really enjoyed seeing others harvest their game as much as hunting himself.

ONE STORY of so many:  I was hunting for warthog.  It was a nice day to be out.  We were in some small foothills.  Hans Peter had a flair up of gout so bad he could not walk. The tracker and I saw a nice pig and we put on the stalk.  I ended up taking him at about 225 yards with a .338 Win. Mag.  Mr. Warthog  ran about 20 yards with his heart exploded and rolled down the slight hill we were traversing.  I went over to check it out and take photos.  Next thing you know Hans Peter was motoring up in 4x4 Toyota pickup driving 4 wheel low range to our spot on the hill side.  He wanted to be part of the action.  He was kind and congratulatory.  We loaded the warthog and went back to the ranch house.  Later than evening over dinner I asked Hans Peter, "Did you see me shoot the warthog or did the brush block your view?"

He answered, "I was not able to see the shot."
I then told him "I think it was about 1,000 meters, then."
He didn't miss a beat and and replied "1,000 yards maybe, but I can't believe 1,000 meters."
Everyone at the table had a big laugh.  Hans Peter scored another one.

God bless you Hans Peter.  My life is better for having you as a dear friend.


No comments: