About Me

My photo
With no chance for success, you would not hunt. Without the prospect of failure hunting would have no merit. I don't hunt to kill, I kill because I hunt. Remember a moderate hit is lots more effective than a high powered miss. Best of luck.

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Chizzlers round 2


Bounty Hunter 6 and I went to hunt varmints again and this time we were prepared for the vermin. BH6 took his customized and super accurate heavy barrel 10-22 in .22LR and his Ruger KM77-17R in .17 HMR. I took my good old Marlin 781 in .22LR {about 30 years old} and my heavy barrel Howa .22-250. We were in the center of an alfalfa field with about a 30º field of view north and east from the center pivot for shooting. There were two other hunters in the same field parked about 35 yards to the south from us shooting in another 90º arch south and west in orientation. We arrived in the alfalfa field around 10 a.m. and proceeded to render harmless chizzlers for about 3 1/2 hours. We shot until our fingers were sore from reloading. We shot as fast as we could go trying to make every shot count. We used the .22LR's for the closer shots at around 20 - 70 yards and the longer distance rifles for shots beyond 70 yards. BH6 went through about 250 rounds of .17HMR ammo. and 200 rounds of .22LR. I used 60 rounds of .22-250 and around 200 rounds of .22LR ammo. All in all we connected with about 75% of our shots. The wind finally came up and started blowing around the .22LR and .17HMR bullets around so we decided to quit. {A guy can only dish out so much carnage in one day anyway.} I really enjoy hearing the maniacal laugh of BH6 through my ear plugs and ear muffs when he connects at great distance with his little .17HMR. We didn't stop for a snack or lunch, we just kept after our duty.

I already want to go back and do it all over again. I am sure there were plenty of chizzlers left for "seed". I have attached a photo of one burrows mound from my Marlin .22LR. The .17HMR and the .22-250 leave little to photograph. The crows and ravens were glad we had come to hunt varmints. They were circling the field as we drove out - Nature's Undertakers.

2 comments:

Brad said...

We're hoping to help out the farmers real soon. Are the chizzlers out, and about?
My new .17 HMR is needing some chizzler experience.

Brad

Accuracy Sports said...

Brad, take plenty of ammo. It is great hunting with little cover and lots of targets!!